Saturday, June 11, 2011

Entering the Later Stages

Today was one of those days where I sat and stared at Nana, wondering, what was this thing that took away so much of her life? I know that she has entered the later stages of the disease but I am grateful that her spirit is still strong, she still tries to make sure everyone around her is cared for, and her smile is still contagious. It seems that her thought process is still functioning on a high level, she just cannot express herself, but I know that even that may be me being hopeful. That is something that I worry about very much, I want her to be able to express pain and discomfort, especially when we made the family decision to move Nana into an assisted-living facility.

In November 2010, I received a phone call at work, that Papa had a stroke in his sleep and had to be taken to the hospital. After a week in the hospital, he was moved to a nursing facility for in-patient, physical therapy. Nana would have to be watched all night now, so Mom, Dad and I took shifts sleeping outside of her room, on the couch. Nana was notorious for trying to leave the house in the middle of the night, so we needed to make sure she did not fall or try to walk out the door. Papa was out of the house from the beginning of November until the beginning of January.

We made the final decision to move Nana into a facility right before Thanksgiving, boy did I cry. I thought I was the strong one out of the group, but little did I know that my guilt would overpower any other feeling I had. I instinctively felt the need to protect Nana from the pain of the transition that she did not know anything about. No one was able to convince me that anyone would be able to care for her better than we were, but I did understand that Papa needed a peaceful environment to support his own recovery.

We went out and bought new clothes and bedding, we tried to make friends with ALL the staff members and we prayed. The name of the facility is Greensboro Place. It is an assisted-living facility with activities during the day and evening entertainment, usually musical. The staff came across as very sincere and understanding to the situation.

The first morning, after we moved her in, we went to visit her and we couldn't find her...she was in her shower stall with the curtain drawn closed, she looked so scared and I was furious. The next day, Nana was sitting in a wheelchair, but she had not needed assistance walking prior to being in the facility, so I was upset again. Nana fell out of the bed, she fell twice from a standing position and each time she was sent to the ER for scans and x-rays. Thank God, each time she was fine.

To me, it seems that since Nana has been away from home she has become more dependent on others, because the staff at the facility have allowed her to be. Six months ago, she was strutting around the house and sometimes dancing. Now, she is in a wheelchair, she is afraid to walk because she does not trust her own strength. Her appetite has diminished and she has lost some weight. Given her environment, I do not blame her for losing some of her will to live. Most assisted-living facilities house individuals who are difficult to care for or who do not have anyone to care for them, it's depressing. Now, we have realized that we need to make an extra effort to make sure she eats enough everyday. It's up to us, I knew not to trust strangers to do what would be best for her..

I can't help but think that if we had more help, more man power, more money and resources, Nana would be in a better place. I understand, that logically Alzheimer's is a disease that gradually progresses and that the next stage will always be inevitable until death, but I want to know that I have done all I could have possibly done to preserve the woman that I knew her to be. I love my Nana, and I hope that one day, I can be a witness to the cure for her and Grandma's disease.

Tomorrow is the Alzheimer's Association's "Walk to End Alzheimer's" event in Greensboro, North Carolina. Many people advocate for an end to a disease we have so much trouble trying to understand. In the beginning, I understood Alzheimer's to be a break down in neurological communication within the brain. Later, over the past few years I began to understand that it was one of many types of dementia. While I was in college in Atlanta I worked with the Alzheimer's Association chapter there and realized what I wealth of knowledge they had in dealing with and diagnosing Alzheimer's. It's unfortunate that there is still no cure but I encourage everyone to check out this link for more information as to what Alzheimer's is: http://www.alz.org/alzheimers_disease_what_is_alzheimers.asp

but I strongly recommend this one for visual understanding:
What is Alzheimer's Disease: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Wv9jrk-gXc

Here are other links that may provide some insight to the research that has been done:

Early detection Alzheimer's test: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZOlmHQj8To

Stages of Alzheimer's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-P9lbTJ9Hw

1 comment:

  1. It is understandable that everyone's preception of a situation is different. "Nana" my mother in law is in the later stages of alzhiemers having been diagnosed about 13 years ago.
    Nana did not just start falling at the assisted living facility, but also had fallen at the center she attended during the day. Because she was still verbal and mobile it was harder to remove her from home. It has becoming more difficult with decision we make to know for sure that they are absolutely without a doubt the right ones, but we are trying our best.
    Yes we do have to put in extra time at the Assisted Living Facility to make sure she is eating. It all about reminding her to eat right now. We she does not eat it is obvious. But we are lucky enough to be able to spend time with her, bringing her snacks or sitting with her to remind her to eat.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts and feelings and leave a comment, your words are appreciated.